Purpose

The purpose of this blog is to document my joys, frustrations, unique finds and general information pertaining to my experiences playing World of Warcraft.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Ugly Side of Obsession (I Choose YOU, Lil' Ragnaros!)

Note:  This post was written two months ago and never published until now.  

About 2 weeks ago I went to post to Old Mother Tucker and couldn't think.  Not only could I not come up with anything funny, the mere thought of doing it made me depressed.  I haven't posted to any of my pages since.

When I realized I had massive writers block, I turned to my one comfort, World of Warcraft.

Did I finally learn how to pvp proficiently?  No.

Did I take up raiding again so I can see MoP's end content?  No.  In fact, I haven't even completed any new quest lines that may or may not dethrone Garrosh at long last.  I didn't even look at the patch notes and have no desire to double check as I write this to see if he's even deposed yet.

Instead I discovered the joys of pet battling.  I had battled a few times right after I got my first 90, but nothing serious since then.

Until 2 weeks ago.  I lost my poor, writers blocked mind in the abject mundanity  (it has to be a word, because I say so) that is pet battling.

For those of you who haven't tried it, let me give you a few pointers.

First, at level 5, the wild pets bring a friend along (later on, it's 2 friends), so make sure you have 3 pets of the appropriate level ready for each fight.

Second, you will find plenty of blues (rares) of the pet you've been trying to get as soon as you spend days finding the first one.  And killing it.  And days more finding another.  As soon as that happens, or if your slots are filled for that pet, every one you fight from then on will be a blue one.

Third, always have at least one pet that is great with critters in your arsenal while leveling and collecting.

Fourth, you will get really sick of seeing these words:



And finally, if you loved Archaeology, you will probably love pet battling, for it, too, is a mind-numbing, monotonous sport.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's perks, and some of the pets are just so darn cute when they head-butt critters into oblivion.  The Singing Sunflower from the quest Lawns of the Dead is freaking hilarious:  that smile stays plastered on it's yellow face as the blood is flying.

And the Darkmoon Tonk and Darkmoon Zeppelin launch rockets:


Poor squirrel!
I love the graphics on the Snowman:


I've found the best way to level a pet fast is to do the daily battles with the appropriate master trainers, then take 2 top level pets that are good at most fights, put them with the pet you want to level and battle level 24 and 25 pets.

So yes, I've been a little obsessed.  Okay, I've done nothing but pet battles for 2 weeks.  In fact I did most of it on my Alliance Monk, not the mage you see in the pictures.  Since you get about half the xp for pet battles that you would get for turning in a quest, I leveled her (mostly) this way.  When I started she was level 66, and she's sitting at level 83* at the moment.   I didn't even take her to Northrend until she was level 77, and then it was because I needed the pets there.

I now have 10* level 25 pets, and only a couple that I plan on using consistently in pvp battles.  I've done a few, won a couple, and the rest weren't pretty.  I'm working now to level Lil' Ragnaros and KT, among others, so I have a better shot at winning more.

I hope my funny bone returns soon.

Happy Pet Battling!

*My Alliance Monk is now level 90 and Timeless Isle geared.  I also have 27 pets at level 25 now.


1 comment:

  1. I pet battling when Im leveling as it really is a massive boost :) You're not far off getting Pro Pet Crew either!

    ReplyDelete