Purpose

The purpose of this blog is to document my joys, frustrations, unique finds and general information pertaining to my experiences playing World of Warcraft.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Raid

There's been some controversy over the documentary by Kevin Michael Johnson that shows one guild on raid night.  Whoa!  If you haven't seen it, the documentary is called "The Raid", and you can check it out here:  http://jointheraid.com/site/.  If you haven't seen it yet, my comments won't make much sense to you, at least some of them won't.

Beau Hindman has a few things to say about it on his blog here:  http://epicdolls.com/beauturkey/?p=4476.  I just recently started following him, and I have only read a couple of articles.  I think he has some valid points, though.

I clicked on the link in his article and listened to Crucifer's point of view here:  http://www.twitch.tv/crucifer2005/b/291991177.  He had some valid points, too.

And now, I'd like to share my thoughts, as one of the "bitches" in WoW...

First, let me say that I am not a prude.  I am an older player, but I'm not ancient and I myself have been known to drop f-bombs, especially in a raid or gank-type situation.  However, there have been some trends by both the older and younger generations of WoW gamers, and I'm sure this holds true with other MMORPG's, that I'm really getting sick of and that I think could and should be brought to a halt.

NOTE:  when I say, "you" in the following paragraphs, I am referencing the offenders, not you the general reader.

Here are some of my "hates" when gaming:

I have noticed lately that a lot of people think it's okay to use "gay" as an adjective.  It has actually become quite mainstream, and I'm not sure this trainwreck can be slowed, but I'm putting it out there:  I don't care what you "mean" by it, I think it's derogatory and a lazy way to say what you really mean.

And while we're on the subject, I don't think it's appropriate for you to call people "faggot" either.  This one is just a whole new realm of bad.  I don't care how you feel about gays and/or lesbians.  Keep it out of the game, please. 

Also, girls have been playing WoW and other games for some time now.  Some of the best players are women, as a matter of fact.  Please, gentlemen, get over it and learn to deal with it.  You've had years to get used to it by now.  And this notion that gaming should be a men-only sport?  Please...do you honestly think, especially in today's society, that women don't deserve an outlet for letting off steam, too?  You should be grateful we're gaming and not outside with the AK-47 shooting up your neighborhood for all the years you tried to keep us in the kitchen.  Or in that kitchen adding arsenic to your soup.

And finally, I don't want to hear racial slurs.  Period.  I don't care what context it's in, "nigger", etc., is NEVER acceptable in my book.  

Any of these, or any combination of these, is sure to ruin my game-play quickly.  I really hate it when my game-play isn't fun anymore.

The bottom line here is this:  be courteous of other players.  Learn to let off steam without being offensive, sexist and racist.  Of course, you can be offensive, sexist and racist in-game if that's how you let off steam.  Just don't expect me to play with you.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think some people say such things to mean harm, although I'm sure others do. It's the Internet. Words only have the power we give them in my book. Either way, the world would not be worse-off if such terminology would disappear.
    I blame the whole 'gay' saying with middle-school era of my life. I'm someone who very often thinks before speaking so it rarely 'slips' out but that's when talking with some friends. Can't recall using the term in a raid scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can no more tell a young player to behave on the internet then you can tell an older player to quit telling younger players to behave on the internet.

    that's not an excuse...I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I can't tell a young player to behave. But I CAN set the example. And I don't have to waste my $15/month playing with someone that thinks using this type of language is cool. I don't mind swearing in general. I do mind it when it hurts people.

    ReplyDelete