Purpose

The purpose of this blog is to document my joys, frustrations, unique finds and general information pertaining to my experiences playing World of Warcraft.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Frostbitten

FOR THOSE OF YOU READING WHO HAVE CHARACTERS ON KORGATH REALM:  THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS COMPLETELY FALSE.

JUST KIDDING!

For those of you who have followed this blog for any length of time, you know I am addicted to rare spawn hunting.  I finally got the Time-Lost Proto-Drake mount on my main death knight, and I have the rare grey camel and "The Camel Hoarder" title on my main druid and my warlock.

I still need TLPD on my druid, though, and considering my angst of late, I decided that now was the perfect time to go a-hunting.

I also figured I'd try to get Frostbitten while I camped.

"Whoa, while you camped???" you exclaim.

Yes, while I camped.  Here is why:  thanks to Ponderance at TLPD Resource, I now know that spawn times for Vyra/TLPD have changed--there is no longer a 6-24 hour window between spawns.  I also learned that only 3 rares can be out in Northrend at a time, and that killing these rares hastens Vyra's and TLPD's spawn rates tremendously.

So, it just made sense.

Now, I do not know the exact number because I'm an idiot and didn't think ahead, but I'm pretty sure I only had 3 or 4 rares killed prior to starting last Thursday night.  Thursday through Saturday I camped Bor's Breath, camping Friday and Saturday all night long till 7am and 10am respectively.  In that time, I have all but 4 rares for the achievement.  As of this writing, I lack only Fumblub Gearwind, Old Crystalbark, Griegen, and the Zul'Drak Sentinel.

And I killed Vyragosa 3 times.

Twice Saturday.

How did I do it?

Well, since only 3 rares can be out in Northrend, and since TLPD has been sighted spawning as early as an hour after Vyragosa was slain, I decided that if they aren't spawning, it's probably because 3 rares were already out.  If I ended up wrong and I missed a spawning, well, there will always be a next time, and that next time is sure to be sooner than usual, since I'm out killing rares and speeding up the timer.

And that's exactly what I did.  I would sit for a good 1/2 hour or so, every once in awhile flying up to the Ulduar spawn point just to be sure I wasn't missing Vyragosa or TLPD.  If nothing was spawned, I would then fly over to Zul'Drak, or Ice Crown, and keep flying over all the other rare spawn spots until I found one.  I would kill that rare, then head back to Stormpeaks.  Sometimes I didn't have to go anywhere--once, Dirkee was out, and a couple times Skoll spawned instead.  I would just kill them, and go back to my camping spot and start over.

(If you would like a good map with a flying route for the Northrend rare spawn points, Ponderance has one HERE.)

And in 3 days time, I got all but 4 rares and saw Vyra spawn at least 3 times.  (I remember 3 for certain.)

Now, I highly recommend a few things:  first, get a focusing lens from the auction house, a jewelcrafter, or make one if you are a jewelcrafter.  Just because Silverdragon and NPC Scan bring up a target window DOES NOT mean you will always be able to find your target.  For example, Putridus the Ancient is absolutely HUGE and you can target him from the Argent Tournament grounds.  His path is not even up by the grounds, though.  If you have, say, a jade focusing lens, you can use the addon's target window to set him as your focus, use the lens, and VOILÀ!  You have a green line pointing in exactly the direction you need to go. 

Second, get the Argent Crusader's Tabard.  It teleports you to the Argent Tournament grounds and has a 30 minute cooldown.  You have to be an exalted champion to purchase it, but it is definitely worth it.

Third, use AT LEAST NPC Scan if not Silverdragon as well--I use both addons, I got them through CurseClient, and I would be lost without them.  I use NPC Scan for the excellent spawn maps, and Silverdragon because I don't have to clear the cache in order for it to alert me to a rare.  Make sure you learn how to clear your cache for NPC Scan--the instructions are on the website--and do this before you log into WoW each time.

One other thing:  if you notice someone else camping, you might ask if they are trying for the Frostbitten achievement as well.  I struck up a conversation with a nice hunter Saturday night, and we ended up sharing spawn times for Vyragosa.  I also helped him get some rares that he needed and I didn't.  You might also ask in general chat if any hunters are looking for pets if you come across Arcturis, Skoll, Loque'nahak, and Gondria--especially since Loque'nahak is the ONLY spirit beast you need for the achievement.  If you don't need Loque', and someone is looking to tame him or one of the others, please let them know you found one.  It's simply common courtesy.

I hope this helps anyone wanting to get a beautiful mount and a cool achievement.

Play hard!  I have some camping to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment